Saturday, July 15, 2006

Kath's Life

My mom had an excellent head for figures and when she left school at 16 took a job in the office of a large bakery, ending up in charge there. She didn't work when I was a child, but as I reached my mid teens she went back to accounting both when we moved to Zimbabwe, and later in New Zealand. She could add up a column of figures faster than an adding machine. She had a very strong work ethic which accounts for the high regard she was held in by her employers - always looking for work to do. This lifelong characteristic actually prevented me from picking up on some of the early signs of her disease.

She and my father had a great marriage. He was the one with the practical know-how and the dreams. She was a great support system and that's something I don't forget. She was not creative in the same way as my dad and I, and I was often aware that she did't have a hobby, until they moved to this property and started running black sheep. She took to spinning, so the wool became her hobby. She used to spin some very beautiful fine wool and I still have her wheel and some samples of her spinning.

She was always very active, walking to and from work (she loved walking). From 1966 she helped my father develop from scratch two 10 acre properties here in the Far North and build what was to be their home. Then when his illness caught up with him, for 5 years she supported him through that. After he died of leukaemia in 1985 and I later moved up here and stepped into his shoes, she carried on, working hard with me for several years on a dairy goat stud I ran on our own place and a 100 acre run-off property I acquired. That is another story.
- - -
Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

2 comments:

DebP said...

Oh Patricia, I am so glad to have found your blog! I've read your entries and have looked at some of your wonderful illustrations on the Wild New Zealand site. I'm literally halfway around the world but, at the same time, in the same place as you are: caring for a Mom with Alzheimer's. I was nodding along with many of your entries here, they express so much of what I am going through. I've subscribed to your feed and I've got you on my blogroll--I'm glad you've decided to write about your experience. It certainly helps me to read about what you struggle with. If I can help you in any way, just let me know. Here's my caregiver's blog.

Deb Peterson

Patricia said...

Hi Deb

Now I have started talking to more people about my situation, I am totally amazed at how many folks around the world are dealing with this. Whether it is a symptom of our times, in terms of the numbers of elderly living longer, or whether more and more people are finding it harder to meet the costs associated with permanent care, I don't know, but there are plenty of carers out there these days. Thank you for your comments about my art, that is my guiding star. Before long I shall have my pets art on display at www.battycats.biz.

Patricia