Monday, July 10, 2006

The Figures

In New Zealand, government charges out longterm care at the rate of about NZ$630 per week. On today's exchangs rate as I write this, that equates to US$386 weekly. Private rest homes would charge more. Obviously, I can't afford that.

My contribution to the national economy over the last 9 years has been to keep my mother at very little government expense. A little home help (about 12 months worth all told I think - I haven't had any for over 2 years), 28 days (mostly less) Carer Support per year for perhaps 3 years, and 1 week per month Respite Care, which started at the beginning of this year - that's 6 weeks.

And if I come to the point where I really cannot handle the caregiver's role any more, government will turn round and reward me by taking the one thing I have left - my home.

Like I said - don't let them steal your identity. Maybe I should make out an account for 9 years of full-time care at $630 per week - that's about NZ$235,000 by my reckoning - and present it to the government health agencies. THEN we might get round to talking turkey.
- - -
Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

No comments: