Friday, January 30, 2009

A Blessed Respite

Early in October 2006, when my mom was in Respite Care for the week, a friend asked me if I would like to go to church with her and her husband.

All my life, except for my young years in Sunday School, I have never been a church-goer. My family and I would definitely have classed ourselves as Christians, and I know that after my dad was diagnosed with leukaemia he read the Bible quite a lot, but we hadn't attended church for years. I actually had a 'thing' about churches because I looked on 'religion' and churches as man-made things - which they are. My views on that have not changed.

Anyway, I agreed to go. I knew my friends attended a small interdenominational fellowship about half an hour's drive north from here on a beautiful stretch of our Far North coast.


This small church has a wonderful Worship Team. Well, the music and the presence of God's love that filled the school hall that day brought me to tears. Not only that, they were having a baptising day and so in a couple of hours, along with 3 others, I entered the chilly October waters of the South Pacific and was baptised into the Lord's family.

Without a doubt, that was THE greatest day of my life. Kind members of this tiny congregation - who had never heard of me before - were inspired to bring scriptures for me after it was over, and - amazingly enough - several of them were identical. It was a promise that I now see coming to pass:

"I will restore to you the years that the locusts have eaten." Joel 2:25

- - -
Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Gail Rae said...

Thank you for sharing this verse. I find its truth oddly comforting.

junglequeen said...

Yes, I was quite blown away by how well it fitted my circumstances. Very humbling. It was certainly a nmessage of hope and comfort.

Patricia