Saturday, August 19, 2006

It's My Day Today

It's My Day Today - or, Someone is Trying To Tell Me Something.

After writing the below post, I just happened to glance at the health news ticker I have running on my Health News site and an item entitled "Iodine in bread for brain power" caught my eye.

This article relates a proposal by FANZ (Food Standards Australia New Zealand) which could see IODISED salt (instead of plain salt) added to all biscuits, bread and breakfast cereals under a new proposal to deal with widespread iodine deficiencies in Australasia and encourage better brain development.

This is another interesting read. I believe there are better ways of supplementing with iodine (post below), but it's interesting the authorities are now tying lack of dietary iodine to brain development issues.

Lack of iodine in the developing foetus has long been known as a cause of cretinism. Given the importance of iodine for healthy thyroid function and the thyroid's role in fighting disease and cleansing the blood, one wonders if an improvement in thyroid function would also entail an improvement in brain function in individuals generally, including Alzheimers sufferers.
- - -
Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

No comments: