Monday, January 19, 2009

Crossing Over to the Other Side

And how fine that line proves to be when for some reason or another the patient crosses back over to sanity! One memorable day my mom nearly returned to her normal self. This reversal of symptoms almost made me wonder how much the researchers really know when they tell us that Alzheimers' brain damage is totally irreversible.

My mom's bed is right under a low 12 foot wide window, with its sill about 6" above mattress height - so she looks straight out on a very nice shrubbery border outside. I keep it as pretty as I can, and it doubles as a nursery for new plants I've bought - Hibiscus or roses usually. One of the Hibiscuses was in flower at the time so it must have been summer.

Here are a couple of pictures of her bed and its inmates as it sometimes looks these days, taken from my seat at the computer:





"Hey Guys! No Sleeping on My Watch!"






"OK OK - If Ya Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em!"

Normally Kath didn't even seem to notice what was out there, but one memorable day in her last 12 months she looked outside and said , "Isn't it beautiful!" I almost fell over. She commented several times and sat there drinking in the view and pointing at things as if she had just seen it all for the first time. Then one of our Birman cats came to her and instead of being unsure about it, and shrinking back, she reached out, petted the cat and told it how lovely it too was - just as she might have done in the 'good old days'. The cat settled down with her and she sat stroking it.

That was a blissful morning. She was calmer, and more content and peaceful than I'd seen her in years. The whole atmosphere of the room lightened and I could feel completely different vibes coming from her corner. But within 48 hours she was back to her "not well" self, and I was left puzzling at what might have brought about this amazing turn-around. AND wishing I knew how to flip the switch again.

- - -
Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

No comments: